Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Corner speaker for 604

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Corner speaker for 604

    For those interested in this model ,here is a good site to look at.


    http://www.wardsweb.org/Billfort/


    ........................................

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Corner speaker for 604

    "Lowther rear horn loaded speakers."

    I've heard these at shows - sounded very fine, but am skeptical of the value of rear horn loading. More interesting to elimate speaker backwave and front horn load.

    You could also add a 511 horn+driver and use 604-8G tweeter as supertweeter. Easy to find because 511 horns never die, they just keep on being resold & recycled from one experimenter to another.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member wws944's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2008
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Corner speaker for 604

    I have looked at the billfort page on a number of occasions, while considering a set of GPA 604s.

    But what to do if one also wants a center channel for HT? Isn't it desirable for the centers of the three drivers to be at the same height? With the billfort cabinets the driver centers are at 38" and the top of the cabinet is at 48". Which means the screen/display would probably be too high on the wall?

    Would it be better to use a slightly smaller 606-like cabinet (roughly 7.5 cu ft), and keep the driver centers closer to the floor? The driver centers are more like 24" off the floor, and the top at 36" - which seems more managable when thinking about a center channel cabinet...

    Room size is 13' wide by 28' long, with normal 8' ceiling. Listening/viewing position is about 12' from the wall.

    One other question: why are there so few corner cabinets these days? Are there technical reasons against them? I have to admit I like their looks.

    Any advice from the pros appreciated!
    W.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Corner speaker for 604

    Quote Originally Posted by wws944 View Post
    Isn't it desirable for the centers of the three drivers to be at the same height?

    Would it be better to use a slightly smaller 606-like cabinet......?

    .......why are there so few corner cabinets these days?
    Yes.

    Best to use a separate LFE system, so the mains only need to be just big enough to handle an 80 Hz XO.

    Corner loading maximally excites the room modes, so a stereo pair creates strong peaks/dips in the response that aren't easily resolved in a typical rectangular room.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Corner speaker for 604

    Long rectangular rooms are not ideal for floor models. Best to use wall mounted speakers.
    Even if it means using a smaller cabinet.

    The 604 in a 612 cab still is considered huge for wall mounting . To bad 12" under hang voice coil light weight cones are not available.


    ...................................

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Corner speaker for 604

    Quote Originally Posted by LICORNE View Post
    ...To bad 12" under hang voice coil light weight cones are not available.
    Aahh, but they are;

    http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/212_8A.pdf
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Corner speaker for 604

    Alleluia B Fish . GPA has just solved the longest problem with those long rectangular rooms in the home entertainment industry.


    Some of these rooms had tall windows on one side . Just imagine the task.

    Thanks for the info.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Corner speaker for 604

    De rien
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member wws944's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2008
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Corner speaker for 604

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Yes.

    Best to use a separate LFE system, so the mains only need to be just big enough to handle an 80 Hz XO.

    Corner loading maximally excites the room modes, so a stereo pair creates strong peaks/dips in the response that aren't easily resolved in a typical rectangular room.

    GM
    GM, thank you. I appreciate your answers.

    I looked at the 212 specs at GPA. Does that massive frequency dip/peak between 10 and 15khz mean that it really needs a separate tweeter? Or is it something that a good crossover could deal with instead? (Not sure I can hear 15khz very well anymore anyway. One of my TVs 15khz is quite audible to the kids, but not so much to me.)
    W.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Corner speaker for 604

    You're welcome!

    Due to our poor hearing acuity down low and up high where we tend to only key on amplitude peaks combined with generally little/no useful content in recordings above ~12-14 kHz, I seriously doubt it's a big deal to even youthful hearing unless they're musicians that play instruments with significant HF harmonics such as the violin. For those that are though, a notch filter to knock down any extreme peaking should solve the problem, though the components will probably create another that may be audibly worse overall, so Caveat Emptor applies. Note too that this peak may flatten out off axis, so proper vertical baffle placement and/or toe-in positioning may be the passive acoustical solution to the 'problem'.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.